Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Our trip back home

For those of you who wonder how our travel back to Califonia went - it wasn't peachy, nowhere near that. Here goes my complaining and whining...
Для тех кому интересно как мы долетели домой - вот вся история в деталях...

We got to the airport in Kiev with plenty of time to spare, or so I thought. When we got to the check-in stand (it wouldn't allow me to check-in online. argh!), what should have taken us 10 minutes tops to get the seats assigned and check-in the luggage took us an HOUR! The reason for this being that they couldn't locate Harper's ticket, apparently they would find a record of it, and then it would disappear on the next screen. The girl that was checking us in was fairly new to the job, and when she called the manager for help, the manager refused to come down saying she was too busy! Luckily, Kiev aiport was in such disarray that morning that my parents were able to get into 'ticketed pasangers only' area and take care of the kids while I was dealing with the problem, and if they didn't I think I would have come away with a head full of gray hair. So finally, an hour into the girl trying to tweak with the system and asking about anyone for help, the very 'gracious' manager decided to show up and see what was up. They were able to fix whatever was wrong, but by this time I had to race through the passport check, secuity check and literally sprint to the boarding gate. So yes, the day couldn't have started better.

Мы приехали в аэропорт с достаточным запасом времени - за два часа. Обычно регистрация и сдача багажа занимает не более 10 минут, у нас этот процес занял целый час! Оказалось что они не могли найти информацию о Харпере в их системе. Девочка мне попалась молодая и не опытная, она просила помощи всех окружающих и даже позвонила начальнице, которая ей ответила что она "сильно занята и у нее нет времени на чужие проблемы". Наконец-то после целого часа статус-кво начальница соблаговолила появится и помочь. К счастью в Борисполе творился такой бордак этим утром, что мои родители смогли просочиться в зону предназначенную только для обилеченных пасажиров. И пока я разбиралась с билетами они заботились о малых. Я себе даже и не представляю что бы я делала если бы их не пустили! Я бы точно вырвала половину волос у себя на голове! Большое спасибо мамик и папик!
Конечно-же к тому времени как мы смогли зарегестрироваться мне буквально пришлось бежать через паспортный контроль, проверку сумок, и прямо к посадочным воротам, где мы были последними пассажирами севшими в автобус, подвозящий нач к самолету.

Our whole travel was during the day (Ukrainian time) and so I knew I wouldn't get much of a break with naps. The first flight to Paris was 3 hours and was pretty torturous. The kids were roudy and wouldn't calm down. There were 3 ladies in the row in front of us, that took turns glancing back with the expression of "can't you shut your kids up and have them sit still?" Yep, that was annoying. I was glad to finally land in France.

Во время полета в Париж дети (в основном Харпер) были очень возбуждены и не могли никак угомониться, так что этот 3-х часовой полет казался вечностью!

At the check-in in Ukraine I was assured that my double stroller would be given to me at the gate. Well, when we got off the plane, I didn't happen to find it. When I talked to personnel, they rudely said that I wasn't going to get it. They weren't trying to be the least bit helpful! My pleas to get the stroller and telling them that I had a tag that matched the tag on the stroller led to nothing and the expression on their face said they couldn't care less. That's where the sobbing and tears came... I was looking for any way out, and asked them if I could have a wheelchair, since I had a 5 hour layover, 2 little kids, and 3 heavy bags. To that I was coldly replied that I should have pre-ordered the wheelchair! At that point all kinds of bad words started flooding head. Seeing that there was nothing that could be done, I angrily kicked the door, demonstratively threw a very stinky diaper I just changed Harper out of onto the floor, and left...sobbing...

Во время регистрации в Киеве меня уверили, что я получу свою коляску в Париже, т.к. у меня был 5-и часовой пробел между полетами. Конечно-же, когда я вышла из самолета с малыми и 3-мя с тяжелыми сумками ручной клади, коляски близко и не было! Я срочно обратилась к персоналу, и они без всякого понимания и сочувствия сказали что коляску мне не дадут. Когда я попросила хотя бы инвалидное кресло они нахально и жестко ответили что мне нужно было его зараннее заказывать. После этого, всякие не хорошие слова пришли мне в голову, и я поняв что ничего не добъюсь, сильно пнула дверь, демонстративно бросила закаканый памперс на пол, взяла детей и сумки и в слезах - ушла...

Luckily the day from then on went a little better. The terminal we were flying out of had carts for the carry-ons that had a big picture with a child sitting in a cart crossed over with a big fat red line - I didn't care. I took two of those carts, sat Andre in one and Harper in the other and thats how we spent our 'lovely' layover.

К радости, это оказалось самым пиком плохих происшествий. В терминале из которого мы вылетали оказались тележки для ручной клади, на которых был знак о том что на них детей возить нельзя, но мне к этому моменту было абсолютно все равно. Я посадила Харпера с вещами в одну тележку, Андре - в другую, и так мы и дождались следующего полета.

(the kids' faces tell it all)

(как видно по лицам детей- нам было весело)

I think because my Dad called AirFrance to complain about the awful check-in experience in Kiev, they assigned Harper a seat, which in the end was a life saver. (Thanks Dad!)

Я думаю что из-за того что папа сразу же позвонил AirFrance и пожаловался об ужасной регистрации, нам оставили кресло рядом с нами свободным, т.ч. у Харпера было свое место, что на много облегчило мне жизнь. (Спасибо папик!)

The boys fell asleep at the very beginning, right as we boarded, so ther were probably asleep for about 30 min to an hour of our 11-hour flight to L.A. The nice thing about Airfrance over Atlantic flights is that every passanger has a video screen and can choose anything they want to watch, This was great for Andre and he was super easy during the whole flight. Harper was not easy, but we managed and survived. I was completely pooped when we arrived in Los Angeles.
Going through customs with 4 pieces of luggage, 3 carry-on bags, 2 kids, and 1 stroller added the last drop to my tiredness to the point that I forgot it was my Dad's birthday that day. My brain and body came to a point when they stopped functioning.

Малые заснули в самом начале полетаб не на долго, но заснули. С Андреем было очень легко во время полета, т.к. в самолете у каждого были инивидуальные экраны и он провел большинство времени смотря мультики. Харпер, как и предпологалось, был намного сложнее, но я как-то справилась. Устав они опять поспали последние 2 часа нашего 11-и часового полета. Корнечно-же я не минутки не поспала, и когда мы приехали домой мои мозги и тело абсолютно отключились.

All I have to say that we are glad we made it home safe and sound. We were happy to be reunited with Jeff and the kids were very excited to see their Papa.

Не смотря на все невзгоды полета, наша поездка этого стоила. Мы провели замечательный отпуск - я расслабилась, малые наигрались с дедушкой, бабушкой и дядей. СПАСИБО ОГРОМНОЕ ЗА ВСЕ! Провели замечательное время на даче Жанны и Вити с Лешой, Юлей и Кириллом. Андрей все время спрашивает когда придет Кирилл.
Вобщем всем большое спасибо за отделенное нам время, подарки и любовь. Мы действительно чувствовали себя как дома. Особое спасибо маме и папе за поездку, отых и расслабление, и финансовую поддержку. Мы вас всех очень любим, целуем и скучаем!!!


Scrappycook said...

What a nightmare! Glad you made it back in one piece!

Maginot said...

welcome back to cali! So I didn't read through the whole blog- sorry. but I can only imagine trying to make that trek alone w/ two active boys- glad you are still alive :-)

Marsh Family said...

o masha! I am so sorry! been there done that. I still haven't flown with my kids since my similar experience. I am so so so sorry! Love ya and welcome back!

joni said...

You are kind of my hero! I cannot even imagine doing that with my kids. I am glad you all made it home in one piece!

Iryna said...

Маша, как я тебя понимаю:) у меня такие же постоянные страдания с коляской в немецком аэропорту или швейцарском, они реально заколебали... неужели так трудно выдать коляску у трапа:) я из-за этого уже и на самолёт еле успевала и в этом году регистрацию на другой рейс прозевала (так пока я на них не наорала, по какой причине я опоздала, так регистрировать меня никто не собирался:)), т.к. меня уверяли, что на багаже вы тут у нас обязательно её получите:)

а с такой дальней поездкой и двумя детьми ты - герой:)

пи.си. если ты не догадалась, то это Ира, с которой ты сидела в последний раз в виноградарском приходе:) said...

Wow!I guess you figured it would be crazy with 2 little ones and then to add the airline craziness on top of it all. I am surprised your still alive!!